October 13, 2017

Contact: John Michaels
(202) 822-0728


NAEA Shares Tax Tips for Latino Households
Language Barriers and Limited Understanding of U.S. Tax System Pose Significant Challenges

WASHINGTON, D.C., October 13, 2017 — A notoriously complex tax code makes tax preparation a difficult chore for most Americans. The challenge is even greater for immigrant families who are still learning the language and the peculiarities of our tax system.

Hispanic people are the largest minority group in the U.S., comprising over 15 percent of the population and growing. While studies show English proficiency among U.S. Latinos has risen over the past decade, English proficiency among older Latinos has changed little since 2000. Language barriers and a limited understanding of the U.S. tax system leave many in the Latino community at a disadvantage when it comes to asserting one’s rights as a taxpayer and avoiding tax-related scams.

The National Association of Enrolled Agents offers the following tax tips to help Latino households take advantage of relevant tax deductions and IRS programs, while avoiding unqualified tax preparers and scam artists who can cause them serious financial harm. 

Beware of Scammers
Thousands of Americans each year are targeted by scam artists posing as IRS agents and demanding immediate payment for “taxes owed.” Latino taxpayers and those unfamiliar with how the IRS operates may be more likely to fall prey to such scams. They also may be more susceptible to working with unscrupulous and/or poorly trained tax preparers who are more likely to file false or fraudulent returns. Remember that regardless of who prepares your return, you are ultimately liable. Also, be wary of tax preparers who offer tax refund anticipation loans. The fees and interest rates charged on such loans are often much higher than people realize. These loans can also be highly risky, requiring you to repay the loan even if your refund is denied.

File Federal Income Taxes Regardless of Your Immigration Status
Even if you are an undocumented immigrant without a valid social security number, you can and should pay federal income tax by applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Roughly half of all illegal immigrants already do this. The ITIN system is designed to facilitate tax payment, not to enforce immigration policy. The IRS does not share applicants’ private information with immigration authorities. ITIN holders may not be eligible for all the tax benefits that go to legal U.S. residents. However, should you become a lawful permanent resident at a later date, earnings reported with an ITIN may be counted toward the amount of social security benefits you are eligible to receive in retirement. 

Leverage Tax Deductions and Credits Available to Families Caring for Older Adults
Hispanics are more likely than whites to live in multigenerational family households. The cost of providing home care or out-of-home care for family members can be applied toward either a medical expense deduction or towards the Child and Dependent Care Credit. It may be advantageous to apply these expenses up to the maximum amount available via the dependent care credit and the remainder of the expenses as medical expense deductions. Working with a tax expert will enable you to determine the most advantageous approach for your situation.

Take Advantage of Refundable Tax Credits that Benefit Low- and Middle-Income Earners
Hispanic households have made gains in wealth and income in recent years but persistent gaps remain between white and non-white households. Make sure you understand and take advantage of all relevant tax credits available to you. The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is, according to the IRS, “a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file.” If you have kids, you may also qualify to take advantage of the Child Tax Credit (CTC). Consult with a tax expert to determine whether there are additional credits or tax relief programs available to you based on your financial situation.

Cross-Border Tax Issues 
Hispanic households also need to be aware of U.S. tax laws dictating the reporting of worldwide income as well as disclosure of assets including foreign bank accounts. Many are not aware that it is your duty to comply with these laws regardless of the amounts that you may have earned outside the U.S. or have in foreign banks. Information about accounts you hold in foreign banks are for disclosure purposes only. They are not typically considered a taxable event. However, you need to be aware of the penalties that may be assessed, which can be substantial, in case you fail to disclose this information. If you are a citizen or legal resident working abroad, you may be eligible for additional benefits in the form of credits and/or exclusions for taxes paid on income earned in other countries. Consult with a tax expert, preferably an enrolled agent, for more information.

Consult a Credentialed Tax Professional
Look for a tax preparer in your area who is a credentialed tax professional, meaning they have demonstrated their “fitness to practice” before the IRS. One type of credentialed tax professional you should consider is an enrolled agent. Enrolled agents do not work for the government but they are federally-licensed tax practitioners who both specialize in taxation and have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service. You can find one in your area by searching the free online directory at eatax.org.

About the National Association of Enrolled Agents 
The National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) has been powering enrolled agents, America's tax experts®, for more than 45 years. NAEA is a non-profit membership organization composed of tax specialists licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department. NAEA provides the networking, educational opportunities, programs and services that enable enrolled agents and other tax professionals to excel beyond their peers. Enrolled agents are the only federally-licensed tax practitioners who both specialize in taxation and have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service. To find out more, visit www.naea.org and follow NAEA on Facebook and Twitter.


13 de Octubre de 2017 
Comuníquese con: John Michaels
(202) 822-0728

Para distribución inmediata

NAEA Comparte Consejos Tributarios para los Hogares Latinos 
Las Barreras Idiomáticas y la Comprensión Limitada del Sistema Tributario Estadounidense Poseen Retos Significativos 

Washington, D.C., a 13 de Octubre de 2017 – el código tributario de los Estados Unidos, notoriamente complejo, hace de la preparación de impuestos un trabajo difícil para la mayoría de los estadounidenses. El reto es superior para las familias inmigrantes que aún están aprendiendo la lengua y las peculiaridades de nuestro sistema tributario. 

Los hispanos pertenecen al grupo minoritario más grande de Estados Unidos con una población de más del 15 por ciento, y continúa aumentando. Aunque los estudios muestran que la capacidad para usar el inglés entre los latinos en Estado Unidos ha incrementado en la década pasada, la fluidez del inglés entre los latinos de edad avanzada ha cambiado poco desde el año 2000. Las barreras idiomáticas y la comprensión limitada del sistema tributario estadounidense han dejado en desventaja a muchos en la comunidad latina; especialmente cuando se refiere a hacer valer sus derechos como contribuyente y evitar las estafas relacionas a los impuestos.

La Asociación Nacional de Enrolled Agents ofrece los siguientes consejos tributarios para ayudar a los hogares latinos a que tomen ventaja de las deducciones tributarias relacionadas y de los programas del IRS; y ayudarles a evitar a los preparadores de impuestos no calificados y los estafadores que pueden causarles serios daños financieros.        

Tenga Cuidado con los Estafadores 
Cada año, miles de estadounidenses son blanco de estafadores que se hacen pasar por agentes del IRS y exigen un pago inmediato por “impuestos adeudados”. Los contribuyentes latinos y aquellos que no están familiarizados con la forma en que el IRS opera tiene más probabilidades de ser víctimas de dichas estafas. Ellos también pueden ser más susceptibles para trabajar con preparadores de impuestos sin escrúpulos y/o poco capacitados que tienen más probabilidades de presentar declaraciones falsas o fraudulentas. Recuerde que no importa quién prepara su declaración de impuestos, usted es la persona responsable. Además, tenga cuidado con los preparadores de impuestos que le ofrecen préstamos adelantados en reembolsos de impuestos. Las cuotas y tarifas de interés que le cobran por estos préstamos son, a menudo, mucho más altas de lo que la persona cree. Estos préstamos también pueden ser muy riesgosos, ya que le exigen que pague el préstamo aun cuando le niegan su reembolso.  
Presentar Impuestos sobre Ingreso Federal sin Importar su Estatuto de Inmigración
Aunque usted sea un inmigrante indocumentado sin un número de seguro social válido, usted puede y debe presentar sus impuestos sobre ingreso federal solicitando un Número Individual de Identificación Tributario (ITIN). Aproximadamente la mitad de los inmigrantes indocumentados ya hacen esto. El sistema ITIN fue diseñado para facilitar el pago de impuestos, no para hacer cumplir la política de inmigración. El IRS no comparte la información privada del solicitante con las autoridades de inmigración. Los titulares de ITIN no son elegibles para todos los beneficios tributarios que tienen los residentes estadounidense legales. Sin embargo, si usted se convierte en un residente permanente legal más adelante, los ingresos que reportó con un ITIN pueden contarle para la cantidad de los beneficios de seguro social para los que será elegible al momento de su jubilación.

Deducciones y Créditos Tributarios de Apoyo Disponibles para las Familias que Cuidan a Adultos de Edad Avanzada  
Es más probable que los hispanos vivan en hogares con familias de varias generaciones que los demás hogares. El costo por proveer cuidado en el hogar o por el cuidado fuera del hogar para miembros de su familia puede aplicarse a la deducción de los gastos médicos o al crédito por el cuidado de menores o dependientes. Tal vez sea más beneficioso para usted si aplica estos gastos, hasta la cantidad máxima disponible, usando el crédito por el cuidado de dependientes y el resto de los gastos como una deducción de gastos médicos. Trabaje con un experto en leyes de impuestos para que pueda determinar la forma más apropiada para su situación.   

Tome Ventaja de los Créditos Tributarios Reembolsables que Benefician a las Familias con Bajo y Mediano Ingreso  
Los hogares hispanos han ganado terreno en la riqueza e ingresos en años recientes, pero siguen existiendo diferencias significativas entre los hogares blancos y otros hogares. Asegúrese de que comprende y toma ventaja de todos los créditos tributarios relevantes que están disponibles para usted. El Crédito tributario por ingreso del trabajo (EITC) es, de acuerdo al IRS, “un beneficio para la gente trabajadora con bajo a moderado ingreso. Para calificar, usted debe cumplir con ciertos requisitos y presentar una declaración de impuestos, aun cuando no debe ningún impuesto o no tenga que presentar la declaración”. Si usted tiene hijos, usted también puede calificar para tomar ventaja del crédito tributario por hijos (CTC). Consulte con un experto en impuestos para poder determinar si hay créditos adicionales o programas de alivio tributario disponibles basados en su situación financiera. 

Asuntos Tributarios Más Allá de la Frontera 
Los hogares hispanos también deben ser conscientes de las leyes tributarias estadounidenses que dictan la forma en que se reporta el ingreso mundial, así como la divulgación de activos, incluyendo las cuentas bancarias en el extranjero. Muchas personas no están informadas de que deben cumplir con estas leyes sin importar la cantidad que usted puede ganar fuera de Estados Unidos o lo que tienen en bancos extranjeros. La información sobre las cuentas que mantiene en bancos extranjeros se usa para propósitos de divulgación solamente. Típicamente, no son consideradas como un evento tributario. Sin embargo, usted debe ser consciente de las multas que se le pueden imponer, que pueden ser considerables, en caso de que no cumpla con la divulgación de esta información. Si usted es ciudadano o residente legal que trabaja en el extranjero, usted puede ser elegible para beneficios adicionales en forma de créditos y/o exclusiones de pagos de impuestos en el ingreso que gana en otros países. Consulte con un experto en impuestos, de preferencia con un Enrolled Agent, para que le dé más información.    

Consulte a un Profesional en Impuestos Acreditado 
Busque a un preparador de impuestos en su área, que sea un profesional en impuestos acreditado, lo cual quiere decir que han demostrado su “capacidad para practicar” ante el IRS. Un tipo de profesional en impuestos acreditado que usted puede considerar es un Enrolled Agent. Los Enrolled Agents no trabajan para el gobierno, pero tienen una licencia federal de practicante de impuestos que los especializa en ambos, los impuestos y la representación ilimitada para representar contribuyentes ante el Servicio de Impuestos Internos. Usted puede encontrar uno en su área buscando el directorio gratuito en línea en eatax.org.  


Sobre la Asociación Nacional de Agentes Registrados 
La Asociación Nacional de Enrolled Agents (NAEA) ha estado empoderando a los Enrolled Agents, los expertos en impuestos estadounidenses, por más de 45 años. NAEA es una organización con membresía sin fines de lucro compuesta de especialistas en impuestos acreditados por el Departamento de Tesorería estadounidense. NAEA provee las conexiones, oportunidades de educación, programas y servicios que le ayudan a los Enrolled Agents y a otros profesionales en impuestos a triunfar por encima de sus colegas. Los Enrolled Agents son los únicos practicantes tributarios con acreditación federal que se especializan en ambos, los impuestos y la representación ilimitada del contribuyente ante el Servicio de Impuestos Internos. Para encontrar un agente registrado cerca de usted, visite el sitio www.naea.org y siga a NAEA en Facebook y Twitter

Share This